I am mainly working on topics in the field of phenomenology, philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychiatry, and cognitive science. I have written extensively on the philosophy of Edmund Husserl, and am working systematically on topics such as selfhood, self-consciousness, intersubjectivity, empathy, shame and collective intentionality. I am currently involved in work on how to use phenomenology in qualitative research.
2018- Professor of Philosophy, University of Oxford
2002- Professor of Philosophy, University of Copenhagen
2002- Director of Center for Subjectivity Research, University of Copenhagen
1999 Dr.phil. University of Copenhagen
1994 PhD in Philosophy, KU Leuven
1991 MA in Philosophy, University of Copenhagen
1988 BA in Philosophy, University of Copenhagen
- Zahavi, D. (ed.) (2018). The Oxford Handbook of the History of Phenomenology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Zahavi, D. (2018). “Brain, mind, world: Predictive coding, neo-Kantianism, and transcendental idealism.” Husserl Studies 34/1, 2018, 47-61.
- Zahavi, D. (2017). Husserl's Legacy: Phenomenology, Metaphysics, and Transcendental Philosophy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Zahavi, D. (2017). “Phenomenology, empathy, and mindreading.” In H.L. Maibom (ed.): The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Empathy. New York: Routledge, 2017, 33-43.
- Zahavi, D. (2016). “Analytic and continental philosophy: From duality through plurality to (some kind of) unity.” In S. Rinofner-Kreidl, S., Wiltsche, H. (eds.): Analytical and Continental Philosophy: Methods and Perspectives. Berlin & Boston: de Gruyter, 80-93.
- Zahavi, D. (2016). “The end of what? Phenomenology vs. speculative realism.” International Journal of Philosophical Studies 24/3, 289-309.
- Zahavi, D., Kriegel, U. (2016). “For-me-ness: What it is and what it is not.” In D.O. Dahlstrom, A. Elpidorou & W. Hopp (eds.): Philosophy of Mind and Phenomenology: Conceptual and Empirical Approaches. London: Routledge, 36-53.
- Zahavi, D., Rochat, Ph. (2015). “Empathy ≠ sharing: Perspectives from phenomenology and developmental psychology.” Consciousness and Cognition 36, 543-553.
- Zahavi, D. (2015). “You, me, and we: The sharing of emotional experiences.” Journal of Consciousness Studies 22/1-2, 84-101.
- Zahavi, D. (2014). Self and Other: Exploring Subjectivity, Empathy, and Shame. Oxford: Oxford University Press.