|2001 - 2017
||Official fellow in Philosophy in the Faculty of Philosophy, and Junior Research Fellow in Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
|2008 - 2011
||British Academy Post-Doctoral Fellow in the Oxford Faculty of Philosophy, and Junior Research Fellow in Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
|2007 - 2008
||Departmental Lecturer in the Oxford Faculty of Philosophy, and in Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
||Ph.D. in Philosophy from the University of Edinburgh
||Laurea in Philosophy, Summa cum Laude, from the University of Pisa, Italy
- Breve introduzione alla metafisica, coauthored with E. Mayr, Carocci Editore, 2017, in Italian.
- Everything in Everything. Anaxagoras's metaphysics, (OUP, 2017). [Abstract, Table of contents & OUP Blog] (reviewed in Bryn Mawr Classical Review)
- Aristotle on Perceiving Objects, OUP, 2014 (reviewed in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, British Journal for the History of Philosophy, Bryn Mawr Classical Review BMCR, Journal of the History of Philosophy, Notre Dame Philosophical Review, Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy [ Reply to OSAP review], Times Literary Supplement and Metascience)
- Mind and Body in Late Antiquity, CUP, forthcoming in February 2018 (co-edited with Sophie Cartwright).
- Divine Powers in Late Antiquity, OUP, 2017 (co-edited with Eirini-Foteini Viltanioti).
- The Metaphysics of Relations, OUP, 2016 (co-edited with David Yates; reviewed in Notre Dame Philosophical Review).
- Causation and Creation in Late Antiquity, CUP, 2015 (co-edited with Brian Prince; reviewed in Bryn Mawr Classical Review).
- The Author's Voice in Classical and Late Antiquity, OUP, 2013 (co-edited with Jonathan Hill; reviewed in Bryn Mawr Classical Review and Classical Review).
- The Metaphysics of the Incarnation, OUP, 2011 (co-edited with Jonathan Hill; reviewed inPhilosophical Quarterly, Religious Studies, and Sophia).
- The Metaphysics of Powers: Their Grounding and Their Manifestations, Routledge, 2010 (edited volume; paperback edition 2013; reviewed in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviewsand Philosophy in Review).
Refereed journal articles and book chapters
Classical and Late Antiquity Philosophy
K. Engelhard and M. Quante (eds.) The Handbook of Potentiality, Springer, forthcoming in 2018.
- 'Stoic blends', Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy, volume 32, 2017, pp. 1-24.
- 'Anaxagoras' Qualitative Gunk', British Journal for the History of Philosophy, Volume 23, Issue 3, pp. 402-422, 2015.
- 'Gregory of Nyssa On the Creation of the World', in A. Marmodoro and B. Prince (eds.) Causation and Creation in Late Antiquity, CUP, pp. 94-111, 2015.
- 'Causation without glue: Aristotle on causal powers', in C. Natali, C. Viano and M. Zingano (eds.), Aitia. Les Quatre Causes d'Aristote. Origins et interprétations. Peeters, Louvain, pp. 221-246, 2014.
- 'Aristotle's hylomorphism without reconditioning', Philosophical Inquiry, Volume 37, Issue 1/2, pp. 5-22, 2013.
The Journal of Ancient Philosophy, Volume 5, Issue 2, pp. 1-24, 2011.
- 'Aristotle on Complex Perceptual Content. The Metaphysics of the Common Sense',Philosophical Inquiry, Volume 34, Issue 1-2, pp. 15-65, 2011.
- Is Being One Only One?' – The Argument for the Uniqueness of Platonic Forms’ . Apeironvol. XLI 4, pp. 211-227, 2008.
- ‘The Union of Cause and Effect in Aristotle: Physics III 3’, Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy, 32, pp. 205-232, 2007.
- 'Aquinas on Forms, Substances and Artifacts', (co-authored with B. Page) Vivarium, 54:1, pp. 1-21, 2016.
- 'Peter Abelard's metaphysics of the incarnation', Philosophy and Theology, Vol. 22, pp. 27-48, 2011, co-authored with J Hill.
- ‘Metaphysica V 7: diverse soluzioni esegetiche a confronto’, Documenti e Studi sulla Tradizione Filosofica Medievale (including a critical edition and accompanying essay), vol. XII, pp. 1-61, 2001. [English Abstract]
- ‘La nozione aristotelica di per se: una nuova proposta interpretativa’, Documenti e Studi sulla Tradizione Filosofica Medievale , vol. XI, pp. 1-35, 2000. [English Abstract]
- 'Whole, but not One' J. Heil, S. Gibb and A. Carruth (eds.) Ontology, Modality, Mind: Themes from the Metaphysics of E. J. Lowe, OUP), forthcoming in 2018.
- 'Structural Powers and the Homeodynamic Unity of Organisms', co-authored with C. Austin, in R. Koons, N. Teh, W. Simpson (eds.) Neo-Aristotelian Perspectives on Modern Science, Routledge, Chapter 7, 2017.
- 'Power Mereology: structural versus substantial powers', M.P. Paoletti and F. Orilia (eds.) Philosophical and Scientific Perspectives on Downward Causation, Routledge, 2017.
- 'Aristotelian powers at work: reciprocity without symmetry in causation', J. Jacobs (ed.) Causal Powers, OUP, 2017.
- 'Dispositional Modality vis-à-vis conditional necessity', Philosophical Investigations, 39: pp.205-214, 2016.
- 'Do powers need powers to make them powerful? ’ From Pandispositionalism to Aristotle',History of Philosophy Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 337-352, 2009.
Contemporary Philosophy of Mind
- ‘It’s a Colorful World’, American Philosophical Quarterly, 43:1, pp. 71-80, 2006.
- 'Does the inherence heuristic take us to psychological essentialism?' (co-authored with R.A. Murphy and A.G. Baker) Behavioural and Brain Sciences, vol. 37, issue 05, pp. 494-495, 2014.
Philosophy of Religion
- 'The metaphysics of the Extended Mind in ontological entanglements', in Marmodoro and Hill (eds. Marmodoro and Hill) The Metaphysics of the Incarnation, OUP, pp. 206-228, 2011.
- 'Composition models of the incarnation: unity and unifying relations', Religious Studies,Vol. 46, issue 04, December 2010, pp. 469-488, co-authored with J Hill.
- 'Modeling the Metaphysics of the Incarnation', Philosophy and Theology, Vol. 20, pp. 99-128, 2008, co-authored with J Hill.
Guest special issues of peer reviewed international journals edited
- The Metaphysics of the Trinity. New Directions. Special issue of the journal Religious Studies, with Martin Pickup and Daniel Kodaj, forthcoming in 2018.
- Mental Powers in Early Modern Philosophy. Special issue of British Journal for the History of Philosophy, with Federico Boccaccini, 2017.
- Empedocles' Metaphysics. Special issue of Rhizomata, a journal for ancient philosophy and science, 4:1, 2016. Table of contents.
- The Metaphysics of Quantum Mechanics. Special issue of the journal TOPOI International Review of Philosophy, 34:2, 2015.
- Causing Health and Disease: Medical Powers in classical and late antiquity. Special issue of British Journal for the History of Philosophy, 22 (5): pp. 861-866, 2015.
- Aristotelian and contemporary perspectives on the mind. Special issue of the journal Res Philosophica (previously: The Modern Schoolman), 91.2, 2014.
- The Powers of the Mind: contemporary questions, ancient answers. Special issue of the journal TOPOI International Review of Philosophy, 31.2, 2012.
Invited Book Reviews
- Review of C. Viano and C. Natali (eds.), AITIA II. Avec ou sans Aristotle, in Philosophie Antique, 2016.
- Review of L. Bianchi and C. Cristiani (eds.) Forme e oggetti della conoscenza nel XIV secolo. Studi in ricordo di Maria Elena Reina, in Speculum, 2016.
- Review of T J Johansen, The Powers of Aristotle's Soul, OUP 2012, in British Journal for the History of Philosophy Volume 22, Issue 1, 2014.
- Review of S Mumford, R L Anjum, Getting Causes from Powers, in Metascience Volume 22, Issue 3, pp 545-559, 2013.
- Review of R Pasnau, Metaphysical Themes 1274-1671 OUP 2011, in Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Volume 91, Issue 2, 2013.
- Review of Fronterotta, F. (ed.) La scienza e le cause a partire dalla Metafisica di Aristotle, in Classical Review 62.2, 2012.
- Review of L'Essere del Pensiero. Saggi sulla filosofia di Plotino, Daniela Taormina, Dominic O’Meara and C. Riedweg (eds.), in International Journal of the Platonic Tradition, 5:2, 2011.
- Review of J Beere’s Doing and Being OUP 2009, Mind, Volume 119, Issue 476, 2010. See also ‘Rubber Bands’ in Times Literary Supplement August 2010.
- Review of P Gregoric’s Aristotle on the Common Sense OUP 2007, in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Volume 83, Issue 1, 2011.
- Review of MM Sassi’s Memories as Traces in the Mind from Plato to the Contemporaries, in Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 2008.
- Review of M Bonelli’s Alexander of Aphrodisias’ Conception of Metaphysics as a Demonstrative Science, in Bryn Mawr Classical Review, 2003.
- 'Greek and Roman Metaphysics.' In D. Clayman (ed.) Oxford Bibliographies in Classics. OUP, 2017 (DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780195389661-0232).
- 'La metafisica dell'incarnazione' in APhEx, Portale italiano di filosofia analitica, No 10 giugno 2014.
- ‘Aristotle. Psychology’ in Encyclopaedia of Ancient History, Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- The Reception of Aristotle on Byzantium (2017-2019)
Funded by the AHRC. Co-Pi with Dr Sofia Xenofontos. Grant value: £248,000.
- Foundation of folk theories of physics and their real-world impact (2017)
Funded by a Research award from Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
- Double Hylomorphism in Late Antique Metaphysics (2016)
Funded by the John Fell Fund (University of Oxford). Grant value: £7,186.
- The Metaphysics of Entanglement (2014 - 2017)
This is a three-year project funded by the Templeton World Charity Foundation. Grant value: £839,000.
- Power Structuralism in Ancient Ontologies (2011 - 2016)
This is a five-year project funded by the European Research Council, 2011-2016. Grant value: €1,300,000.
- Causal Powers in Aristotle’s Philosophy of Mind (2008 - 2011)
This is a three-year project funded by the British Academy, 2008-2011. Grant value: £235,000.
- Incarnation by Embodiment: Christ as the ‘external vehicle’ of God’s mental contents (2008 - 2009)
This is a one year project funded by the Leverhulme Trust. Grant value: £33,000.
- Philosophy as a Way of Life (2008 - 2010)
This is a two-year international collaboration with Prof John Cooper (Princeton) jointly funded by the John Fell Fund (Oxford) and by the Faculty of Philosophy at Princeton. Duration: 2008/10. Grant value: £4,000.